Regular exercise and physical activity are essential for everybody, including those with disabilities. A great way to start increasing physical activity is through aerobic exercise. This can be as simple as going for a walk or playing catch with a friend. If you’re up for a challenge, try swimming or biking. While this may seem daunting, there are plenty of options available for those who want to get moving and improve their health.
Photo via Pexels
If you prefer a more relaxed approach to physical activity, try yoga or tai chi. Both of these activities can be done in group or individual settings, and they are great for improving balance, flexibility, and strength. You can also find online classes or set up a home gym if you prefer to work out in the comfort of your own home.
Safeway Medical Supply shares some tips and ideas, plus some links to help you get started.
Top Digital Equipment and Accessories
Working out at home? No problem! There are plenty of online workout programs, as well as digital equipment and accessories to make working out at home easy and enjoyable. Below are some of the options available, but look into specific types of equipment that are best suited for your fitness goals and mobility needs.
- Resistance Bands: these helpful elastic bands are great for numerous exercises and almost any skill level. Use them to help you to stretch or provide resistance in lieu of weights.
- Gripping Aids and Gloves: if you have impaired hand movement or strength, you can still lift weights and grip exercise equipment with these aids. Use them to take your strength-building routine to the next level.
- Therapy and Exercise Balls: These tools can be used for lots of different purposes, from building core strength to lifting no-grip weights to stretching. Look into how you can use them in your routine.
Establishing a Solid Morning Routine
The morning hours can set the tone for the rest of the day, so it’s important to start the day off right with a solid morning routine. Some ideas to get you started include:
- Reading a motivational book. Pick something that inspires you or challenges you in a positive way. There are plenty of great recommendation lists to get you started or look around on your library’s website for some great free ideas.
- Seeking positivity. Whether it is something you read, watch, or listen to, find something positive and uplifting to start your day off.
- Eating a nutritious meal. Science has shown that the old adage, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” is true. Start by drinking 8 oz of water as soon as you wake up, eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up.
- If you knew a way to boost your mood, decrease your anxiety, and improve your focus, wouldn’t you do it? Well, you do now! Meditation, when done early in the morning, can help you with these things and more, so start each day with a brief meditation session.
By taking some time for yourself in the morning, you can set yourself up for a productive and successful day ahead!
Find Your Fitness Routine
There are many different options available for adults with disabilities who want to get physically active and improve their health. From athletics and fitness programs to adaptive equipment and healthy habits, there is something out there for everyone! The most important thing is to find what works best for you and to establish a solid morning routine that will set you up for success throughout the day!
Shop at Safeway Medical Supply for high-quality and durable medical equipment and wellness products for home care.